26.5.08

Z’s-Inciting Flicks with Fat Budgets

Well, that was refreshing.


I almost felt asleep in a theater watching The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. The title “The Lullaby of Narnia: Sleeping Caspian” would have been more fitting.

I confessed my mistake of not watching the first Narnia movie and ended up wondering who or what the hell Aslan was. I first made an uneducated guess that Aslan was a majestic-looking, authority-exuding monarch or wizard with a heavy staff, striking fear into enemies’ hearts and inspiring faith on allies’.

Boy, I was only half correct.

He was majestic alright, but he didn’t sport any staff. Not any that was visible to the eye, at least. Aslan was a lion?? Forgive my ignorance, but hey, great sequel movies didn’t call for a mandatory watching of the first. Take Godfather 2, Terminator 2, The Two Towers, or Basic Instinct 2 as examples. Well, the last-mentioned movie was an exception, but surely you get the picture.

It was the second time in a row that my eyelids drooped in front of a silver screen. The first was Speed Racer, a supposedly high-speed racing flick featuring slick, high-tech cars with outrageous driving. Not so, in my humble opinion. The actors talked too much when they should have concentrated more on driving, and got me asleep at the wheel. Don’t talk and drive!

Preposterous to think that I spend my hard-earned money to see such below-expectation shows.

SCANDALOUS!

A robbery!

Money-thieving scheme!

Yeah!

Well…

Hmm…

Zzzz Zzzz Zzz…

3 comments:

Farina Situmorang said...

You do know that C.S. Lewis is a re-converted Christian right? So, he uses a lot of biblical metaphors, concepts, symbols in Narnia. The Lion is (many may argue) quite similar to the character of Christ.

Of course, that fact probably won't get your money back.

RRR said...

Really? I didn't know that. Well, at least I gave my money away for a good cause. Hehehe..

Anonymous said...

This wont exactly help with the fact that you felt like wasting your time, but in defense of the Narnia books.. You actually could read them as stand-alones, and I was disappointed by the movies. Please don't judge the book by the movies ^^