31.12.06

Reflections and Resolutions

As the midnight draws nearer, I couldn’t help but reminiscing all the things in 2006. Few are best forgotten, but most are fondly etched in my heart. There are no such things as bad experiences, only hard lessons.

If I measured the passing year with a weighing scale that had ‘failure’ plate on the left, and ‘achievement’ plate on the right, I could say that, overall, this has been a good year. I’ve had chances to go to new places and meet new faces. My work has been filled with new experience and adorned with a satisfying year-end work assessment from my boss. Surprise, surprise…

As a mere mortal, I inevitably stumbled upon failures and obstacles throughout the year. It’s a good thing that I remember more of the good things than bad ones, as this indicates a positive-thinking attitude, I guess. Thinking back, I only manage to recall one scholarship application that went up in smoke and one romantic request turned down. Nothing catastrophic, I got to keep my single status. LOL… Hey, at least I still have the second best thing in life.

My little sister got married, and it was one of the best things in 2006. My only regret was that I did not specifically express my wish when she asked what I’d wanted for her wedding, and ended up with a traditional knife and a piece of ulos.

On the grimmer note, there was some reality shock that gave me harsh reminders of mortality. A friend of mine died, and my father went through a cardiac surgery. Not pleasant memories, but everything happened for a reason.

Resolutions for 2007? There are many, as I am an ambitious person with the Grand Plan. Practically and realistically speaking, here are some things:

1. Getting my car to the garage and having it "remodeled". This is top priority, as my beloved car is making new, mysterious noise every week. 2006 has been - almost- a mechanical breakdown-free period, but I don't want to push my luck.

2. Finding a new place to live, where I can go home at any ungodly hour as I damn please.

3. Avoiding in every way possible to be reappointed as "Seksi Keamanan" or given the role of a drug-induced bouncer in Christmas play/celebration. Not good, might expel me from Santa's list. Moreover, I don't endorse violence, especially not on le plus beau des jours de l’année.

4. Retrieving the willpower to get up early every Saturday morning for my French lesson. My French did not progress significantly last year, and it might eventually ruin my next lesson: learning Spanish. On with the Grand Plan!


The ultimate resolution for 2007 would be getting myself en route towards adding three-letter label behind my name, with a major that is relevant to my current line of work. And, bien sûr, to tip my scale a little bit further to the right.

Happy new year, everyone! I hope your 2006 has been as good as mine, and may your 2007 be even better.

2 comments:

Farina Situmorang said...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Good luck with the Grand Plan!!

RRR said...

Actually, the Grand Plan is on the verge of collapsing already. LOL..Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too..