15.12.06

Happy Commuting in Jakarta

As recent as 1 month ago, I was still one of very few people in Jakarta who were blessed with convenient commuting. It usually took me 15 minutes – 20 minutes tops – in the morning to get from my place to the office, encountering only one traffic light. At night, I even got to choose from 2 alternatives: step on the pedal and speed through the deserted roads, or roll my window down and cruising lazily, puffing a cigarette. Eventually, either way will kill me, I guess. LOL.

How the good ol’ days are missed.

These days, I have to hustle and bustle for more than 45 minutes throughout the heavily packed roads, cursing other drivers with disturbing animosity and pounding incessantly on the horn to gain way.

It’s a good thing that nowadays motorcyclists are obliged to switch on their lights during daytime, as they are easier to spot in the rearview and side mirrors. Nonetheless, there were times when I felt an urging desire to hit a reckless motorcyclist on the face just for the heck of it. People, you are not immortal. And I don't have an insurance.

What amazes me even more; there are neither road works nor problems that could serve as bottlenecks. It just seems that more and more cars are pouring into less and less roads, and there will come a day when walking gets you somewhere faster than driving.

Until then, I wish everybody a happy commuting!

No comments: